Car Insurance in Texas
Texas is known for being a large state, with a large number of roads and highways that Texas drivers use every day. Make sure you և your car is protected by the right Texas car insurance policy. Whether you’re new to Texas or just looking for a better rate, GEICO is here to provide fast, free car insurance quotes for our outstanding coverage. GEICO offers competitively priced auto insurance in Texas with features such as 24/7 customer service and a range of car insurance discounts that can save you money.
See for yourself why many of your Texas friends turn to GEICO for car insurance. Start quoting your Texas car insurance online at any time. It’s fast և free.
More Auto Insurance Information for Your City in Texas
Texans know that driving varies depending on the city. What you need for car insurance in Houston may be different than what you need for car insurance in Austin, Dallas or San Antonio. Be sure to gather as much information as possible to make the right decision about your car insurance needs.
Texas Car Insurance Laws
In Texas you will need proof of car insurance when / if you:
- Get a car inspection
- Register a car
- Make certain transactions related to your driver’s license
- They are brought by law enforcement
In Texas, driving without insurance can cost you up to $ 1,000 plus your annual driver’s license surcharge. Avoid headaches և trouble և make sure you have at least the minimum required car insurance.
Minimum Texas Car Insurance Coverage
Texas requires drivers to have at least the following car insurance coverage.
- Responsibility for bodily injury$ 30,000 per person և $ 60,000 per accident
- Liability for property damage$ 25,000:
- Personal Injury Protection (PIP)$ 2,500 if you do not decline this coverage
- Injury to an uninsured driver$ 30,000 per person և $ 60,000 per accident if you refuse this coverage
- Property damage of an uninsured driver$ 25,000 և $ 250 discount if you do not decline this coverage
While these are the minimum coverages that Texas requires you to have, everyone has different insurance needs. Visit our Coverage Calculator for a personalized quote.
Mexican travel car insurance
Are you planning to travel to Mexico by car? As a GEICO car insurer, we can help you get car insurance for your trip to Mexico.
Texas Car Registration Information
Get a Texas Driving License
Newcomers to Texas who have a valid driver’s license from their home state have 90 days to obtain a Texas driver’s license upon entry.
Applicants 18 years of age and older who have a valid foreign driver’s license must:
- Provide an identity document
- Provide proof of social security number
- Provide Texas Vehicle Registration և Liability Proof If You Have a Car
- Fill out the required forms available at any Texas Driving Office
- Pay the required fee
- Take a vision test
- If you have a valid foreign license, it must be submitted to the driver’s license office.
When submitting your application, please submit:
- Completed Texas Certificate Application Certificate: 130-U
- The original of the property abroad or a valid foreign or military ownership document
- Completed Form VTR-68-A ապ Certificate of Compliance with US Department of Transportation Safety Requirements if You Have a Foreign Ownership Document
- Vehicle identification certificate issued by a approved safety inspection station
- Valid Proof of Texas Liability Insurance
- The current speedometer of the vehicle if the vehicle is less than 10 model years old
- Sell or use a tax return if you have not previously registered your car in another state
Texas Teen Driving License
If your Texas teen is approaching driving age, you both need to know.
- At the age of 15, individuals can apply for a student license. This allows young drivers to practice if they have at least a 21-year-old licensed driver.
- Drivers can apply for a temporary license at the age of 16 upon successful completion.
- Have a valid student or disability license for at least six months.
- Parts behind the complete driver’s classroom wheel.
- Take the Impact Texas Teen Driver (ITTD) course; և:
- Get a passing score on a driving test.
- Temporary driver’s licenses are valid until they reach the age of 18, when all restrictions are lifted.
Good student discount in Texas
Drivers և their parents may be eligible for a good student discount if the student meets the following conditions:
- 16 to 25 years old or older; և:
- Enrolled in an educational institution (high school, college or home education) full time. և:
- Maintains a “B” average or 3.0 GPA
Get quotes today to see how much you can save on a good student discount.
Texas Insurance Agents
We have provided Texas Insurance Agents in most areas of Texas, from Abilene to San Antonio, who are ready to answer any questions you may have about GEICO car insurance policies. You can also contact us 24/7 in our award-winning app. See how we make it easy to get insurance on the app with one-click bill payment, digital ID cards, roadside assistance, and more. Download our award-winning app today!
- 1 Car Insurance in Texas
- 2 Texas Car Insurance Laws
- 3 Minimum Texas Car Insurance Coverage
- 4 Texas Car Registration Information
- 5 Texas Teen Driving License
- 6 Texas Insurance Agents