Car insurance in New York
You need to know the basics of New York car insurance if you plan to drive here. Whether you live in the heart of New York, on the shores of Lake Ontario, or anywhere else in Empire State GEICO, it can help you get the coverage you need.
Learn more about car insurance claims in New York և See how much you can save on free car insurance to suit your budget.
How to Reduce Your NY Car Insurance Premium
There are several NY premium discounts: discounts that can save you money on GEICO car insurance.
Discount for a good driver in New York
Available to policyholders if:
- At least one of the major drivers in the policy has at least 5 years of driving experience
- All insured drivers have been uninsured for 5 years prior to և policy issue date և
- No driver points were assigned
This discount applies to personal injury, property damage, collision and personal injury protection coverage.
Good student discount
Beneficiaries may be eligible for this discount if their son or daughter who is involved in politics is between 16 and 24 years old, or is a full-time student (high school or college), or is involved in a home education program.
We love saving you money. New Yorkers who have more than 1 policy in their GEICO account (1 is auto coverage) can get a discount on their New York auto insurance premium. Examples include:
- Car և homeowners
- Cars և tenants
- Car condominium
- Car և mobile home
Accident prevention course loan
We also like to reward safe drivers. You can get a premium deduction on your New York car insurance by attending a state-approved Accident Prevention course.
New York Car Insurance Laws
New York, a state without fault insurance
In the event of an accident, fault-free car insurance helps insured drivers and passengers get back on their feet by paying the insurer’s bills, regardless of who was at fault. Financial costs are covered by Insurers’ Personal Injury Protection (PIP) coverage, which New York’s Innocent Law requires all drivers to wear.
- PIP coverage helps insured drivers և passengers get back on their feet by covering relevant medical bills, some lost earnings, death benefits և covered by other accident-related household expenses.
Personal injury protection in New York offers the following benefits if the insured is in an accident:
- Medical և Rehabilitation costs
- Part of lost earnings for up to 3 years
- Death benefits
- Other household expenses
How much car insurance do I need in New York?
If your car is registered with the NY Motor Vehicles Department, your insurance must meet the following New York Liability Coverage:
- Bodily injury liability coverage$ 25,000 per person և $ 50,000 per accident
- Property damage liability coverage$ 10,000 per accident
- Uninsured / underinsured bodily injury coverage$ 25,000 per person և $ 50,000 per accident
- Personal injury protection$ 50,000
Whether these are the minimum coverage New Yorkers require of you, everyone has different insurance needs. Visit our Coverage Calculator for a personalized quote.
Easy replacement of windshield
$ 0 Shrinkable Glass – If you have a comprehensive cover, you have the option of adding a non-shrinkable glass cover. If you need glass covered with this coating, you will not have to spend anything out of pocket.
Register your car at the New York DMV
Register your car և Update your driver’s license within 30 days of your transfer. We recommend that you visit the DMV website in New York to schedule your appointment, to schedule your visit, to make sure you have all the relevant documents you need for a quick, easy trip.
New York Teen Driver Laws
If your teen is approaching driving age, you և your teenager should know:
- At the age of 16, people in New York are eligible to study for a permit. To obtain a license, drivers must pay the application fee և take a written test.
- The student’s permission allows them to drive from 5:01 a.m. to 8:59 p.m. with a parent, guardian, or driving instructor;
- Six months ստանալ 50 hours of driving control (including 15 hours of overnight practice) after a student’s permit (s), the driver may take a test for a junior driver’s license.
- Drivers with only a junior license are not allowed to drive in the 5 boroughs of New York, so it is often advisable to bypass a junior driver’s license until he or she qualifies for a senior license.
- The junior license outside of New York City is valid with a number of curfew restrictions specific to each district.
- At the age of 18 (or 17 if the driver has completed driver training), drivers can apply for a Senior Driver’s License without restrictions.
New York car registration information
Register your car
Did you know that New York State insurance proof must be presented to the DMV when you register your car? Also, the car insurance card must be in the name of the registered owner of the car.
To register your car in New York State, you must bring a DMV.
- Proof of ownership
- Odometer և damage detection announcements (if the car is 8 years old or newer)
- New York State Insurance Identification Card (FS-20)
- Proof of identity յան date of birth
- DZ MV-82 (Vehicle Registration / Name Application)
- Proof of turnover tax, sales tax exemption or purchase price
Please help GEICO help you …
If you և / or your child has been a victim of domestic violence և you are a GEICO insurer, or if you are involved in a claim developed by GEICO և you need to protect your personal contact information, please read our New York Home Information for the secrecy of abuse.
- 1 Car insurance in New York
- 2 How to Reduce Your NY Car Insurance Premium
- 3 New York Car Insurance Laws
- 4 How much car insurance do I need in New York?
- 5 Easy replacement of windshield
- 6 Register your car at the New York DMV
- 7 New York Teen Driver Laws
- 8 New York car registration information
- 9 Please help GEICO help you …