It happens to everyone – a terrible puncture tire. At best, it happens near the house, without a ton of traffic in the neighborhood. In the worst case, you are on the edge of the highway, in bad weather, you wear your best outfit և you try to get to the meeting.
Do not worry! With this guide և video you will learn how to change a tire quickly: easily.
Basics of changing tires և safety
It is wise to follow the step-by-step instructions (see below) on how to change the tire in your car if you ever find yourself in such a situation. For all visual learners, we have compiled this video that demonstrates the basics of safe and effective tire changing.
IMPORTANT. Spare tires are not intended for long journeys, so use your spare tire only to go to the nearest tire shop or home. Make sure you always have a spare tire – check it several times a year to make sure the air pressure is at a passable level.
Watch our other car service tutorial videos on how to change the wiper blades և how to check tire pressure.
The main points of changing your tires
Always keep these items in your car.
- Paper covers to protect your clothes (available at paint stores)
- Spare tire
- Car jacket գործիք tire tool
- An open tube 2-3 feet long that fits snugly on the tip of the tire tool
- Gloves (great for any car problem)
- Flashlight (best without hand)
- Wipes to clean yourself
- Vehicle Owner’s Manual
Step by step guide.
- Even if you are a specialist in changing the cylinder, inflating a tire can be nerve-wracking and stressful. Most importantly, do not panic. Turn on your emergency eyelashes to show other drivers that you are in an accident.
- If you have a choice, drive as far away from the road as possible, on the smoothest ground you’ve ever seen. The smoother and stronger the soil, the better.
- Call for help if you are in an emergency or central area on a main street or highway. Working on a car is not safe for you unless you are off the road կա There is plenty of room to work. If your only option is a soft surface, do not try to lift your car, as this can cause serious safety concerns. Call for help.
- Once in a safe place, let all passengers get out of the car and stay as far away from traffic as possible.
- Park the car ացրեք apply the emergency brake. If you have a manual transmission, leave the car with the first transmission or reverse.
- Consider placing a brick, large stone, or log in one of the undamaged tires to prevent the car from rolling. This is especially true if you are on a slope. If your car is facing up, put the object behind the tire to prevent it from rolling back. If your car is facing down, put the object in front of the tire.
- Install your spare tire և tools (in a sedan or coupe, these items are usually in the trunk; in SUVs, they are often placed in the back or bottom). Place the items you need near your workspace. Try to stay away from moving traffic as much as possible.
- If the lock nuts (items on which your tire rests) are not exposed և visible, you will probably need to remove the cap. Use the flat tip of the tire tool to cut the cap, being careful not to tip it over or bend it. This should expose the side nuts.
- Do not lift the car until the lock nuts are loosened. Otherwise, your tire will spin in the air, making it impossible to remove.
- The rotating nuts must be loosened with a tire tool. Slide the tire tool over the first screw nut, then slide the tube into the end of the tire tool. The pipe gives you extra leverage. Do not be afraid to put muscles in it.
- As soon as the first nut is loose, leave it for now. Loosen each other nut, turning it all the way around until all the side nuts are loose. Remember: right-tight, left-weak.
- At this point, you are ready to lift your car. Slide the cab under the frame of your car և push or turn the elevator. Only lift your car until the tire is barely off the ground. It’s very important to refer to your owner’s manual for the correct installation of the car cabin.
- Remove the lock nuts completely և and put them in your pocket or cap to keep them secure.
- Remove the tire by pulling it straight out of the car.
- Raise the spare tire on the screw legs by aligning the screws with the tire holes. Remember that the air valve must be facing outwards. Turn the lock nuts by hand, replacing them with the others, until they are all tight. Then go back to the tool and click on them.
- Lower the steering wheel so that the tire does not turn.
- Using your tire tool, fasten the lock nuts with the same thread as you loosened them. Bend them to the right to tighten them ուժ put some effort into it.
- Lower the car to the end and take off the jacket.
- If you have, reinsert the knot cover.
- Drive carefully to the nearest tire shop.
For more information և For details on changing your car’s flat tire, refer to your car owner’s manual.
If you ever choke on a tire, having GEICO Emergency Service can be a lifesaver. For just one kopeck a day per car, you can rest assured that roadside assistance is just one call or one touch away. Be sure to add it to your policy today.
By Dawn McCaslin